Pigoreva Ol'ga Vladimirovna, Doctor of historical sciences, associate professor, head of the sub-department of foreign languages and humanities, Kursk State Agricultural Academy named after I. I. Ivanov (70, Karla Marksa street, Kursk, Russia), E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Background. Addressing the theme of celebrating the 1000 anniversary of the Baptism of Rus is relevant in the subject field of the history of modernity and is explained by both the novelty of the event and the scale of the subsequent transformations in the central part and in the places of transformation. The purpose of the article is to determine the information content and representativeness of the historical sources presented in the federal and regional archives necessary for conducting research on the preparation and celebration of the anniversary of Christianity as the beginning of the solution of the “religious issue” in the context of the “capital and province” dichotomy.
Materials and methods. The study was conducted on the basis of archival sources from the funds of the Council for Religious Affairs under the Council of Ministers of the USSR and its representatives in the regions of the central part of the RSFSR presented in the collections of the State Archive of the Russian Federation and the state archives of Russian entities. The corpus of sources forms the paperwork in the form of reports, certificates, memos, information messages. Comparative historical and historical critical methods, the principle of complementarity of sources were used.
Results. A diverse array of archival documents has been examined that reveals the history of the preparation and celebration of the 1000 anniversary of the Baptism of Rus in the central part and in the places of transformation when the actions of local authorities came into conflict with the rapidly changing state policy regarding religion.
Conclusions. The materials presented in the collections of the federal and regional archives recreate a holistic and reliable picture of the preparation and celebration of the 1000 anniversary of the Baptism of Rus at the level of the capital and provinces of the center of the RSFSR, where Orthodoxy is the traditional, historically determined religion of most residents. The analysis of the sources shows the differences in approaches to organizing anniversary celebrations in the central part and in the places of transformation: in the capital, foreign policy, organizational, scientific tasks, and publishing were among the most important; in the provincial regions, despite a change in state policy regarding religion, a cautious attitude towards the intensification of religious life and the expansion of the activities of the Russian Orthodox Church remained.
regional archives, archival materials, historical sources, the 1000th anniversary of the Baptism of Rus, capital, province
1. Karnishina N. G. Izvestiya vysshikh uchebnykh zavedeniy. Povolzhskiy region. Gumanitarnye nauki [University proceedings. Volga region. Humanities]. 2013, no. 2 (26), pp. 5–12. [In Russian]
2. Karnishina N. G. Tsentr i region: istoricheskie modeli vzaimodeystviya [Center and region: historical models of interaction]. Penza: Izd-vo PGU, 2003, 224 p. [In Russian]
3. Russkaya provintsiya: kul'tura XVIII–XX vekov: sb. st. [Russian province: culture of XVIII–XX centuries: collected articles]. Ed.-comp.: V. Afiani, T. Razmustova, A. Sundieva. Moscow: RIK, 1992, 183 p. [In Russian]
4. Danilov A. A., Memetov B. C. Intelligentsiya provintsii v istorii i kul'ture Rossii [The intelligentsia of the province in the history and culture of Russia]. Ivanovo: Izd-vo IGU, 1997, 175 p. [In Russian]
5. Inyushkin N. M. Provintsial'naya kul'tura: vzglyad iznutri: monografiya [Provincial Culture: an inside look: monograph]. Penza: Penzenskaya pravda, 2004, 440 p. [In Russian]
6. Geras'kin Yu. V. Vzaimootnosheniya Russkoy Pravoslavnoy Tserkvi, obshchestva i vlasti v kontse 1930-kh – 1991 gg. (na materialakh oblastey Tsentral'noy Rossii): monografiya [Relations between the Russian Orthodox Church, society and government in the late 1930s – 1991 (based on materials from the regions of Central Russia): monograph]. Moscow, 2008, 558 p. [In Russian]
7. Fedotov A. A. Russkaya Pravoslavnaya Tserkov' v 1943–2000 gg.: vnutritserkovnaya zhizn', vzaimootnosheniya s gosudarstvom i obshchestvom (po materialam Tsentral'noy Rossii): monografiya [Russian Orthodox Church in 1943–2000. Church life, relations with the state and society (based on materials from Central Russia): monograph]. Ivanovo, 2011, 999 p. [In Russian]
8. Lebedeva O. V., Il'ina Z. D. Vestnik Kurskoy gosudarstvennoy sel'skokhozyaystvennoy akademii [Bulleti of Kursk State Agricultural Academy]. 2010, no. 9, pp. 76–78. [In Russian]
9. Lebedeva O. V., Il'ina Z. D. Izvestiya Tul'skogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta. Gumanitarnye nauki [Proceedings of Tula State University. Humanities]. 2011, no. 1, pp. 160–168. [In Russian]
10. Gosudarstvennyy arkhiv Rossiyskoy Federatsii (GARF) [State Archive of the Russian Federation]. F. R-6991. Op. 6. D. 3841. [In Russian]
11. GARF. F. R-6991. Op. 6. D. 3665.
12. GARF. F. R-6991. Op. 6. D. 3679.
13. GARF. F. R-6991. Op. 6. D. 3886.
14. GARF. F. R-6991. Op. 6. D. 4074.
15. GARF. F. R-6991. Op. 6. D. 3668.
16. GARF. F. R-6991. Op. 6. D. 3718.
17. GARF. F. R-6991. Op. 6. D. 3748.
18. Gosudarstvennyy arkhiv Voronezhskoy oblasti (GAVO) [State Archive of Voronezh region]. F. R-967. Op. 1. D. 315. [In Russian]
19. Gosudarstvennyy arkhiv Tul'skoy oblasti (GATO) [State Archive of Tula region]. F. R-3354. Op. 3. D. 25. [In Russian]
20. Gosudarstvennyy arkhiv Orlovskoy oblasti (GAOO) [State Archive of Orel region]. F. R-3660. Op. 1. D. 99. [In Russian]
21. Gosudarstvennyy arkhiv Kostromskoy oblasti (GAKoO) [State Archive of Kostroma region]. F. R-2878. Op. 3. D. 531B. [In Russian]
22. GAVO. F. R-967. Op. 1. D. 323.
23. GARF. F. R-6991. Op. 6. D. 3732.
24. GAVO. F. R-967. Op. 1. D. 318.
25. Gosudarstvennyy arkhiv Belgorodskoy oblasti (GABO) [State Archive of Belgorod region]. F. R-1179. Op. 3. D. 148. [In Russian]
26. Gosudarstvennyy arkhiv Kurskoy oblasti (GAKO) [State Archive of Kursk region]. F. R-213. Op. 1. D. 218. [In Russian]
27. GATO. F. R-3354. Op. 3. D. 24.
28. Pigoreva O. V. Vestnik Kostromskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta [Bulletin of Kostroma State University]. 2015, no. 3, pp. 54–57. [In Russian]